Monday, January 5, 2009

Storm at Sea

This red, white and blue Storm at Sea in the magazine picture was the quilt pattern that mesmerized me years ago when I first saw it in an old quilting magazine. It looked like it had motion and I wanted to make one.
This was before I'd ever heard of the rotary cutter, so I followed the instructions and made cardboard templates for all the shapes needed and traced them on the fabric and cut them out with scissors! It was a great day when I brought home my first rotary cutter for my third quilt top!

I machine-quilted the blocks and hand-quilted the border and binding. Hand-quilting is a joy, and the time and attention is well worth it.

The date stitched onto the backing says 1991. The center squares in the green blocks used to be black floral!

It's always a pleasant surprise when I go through my stash and come across an oddly shaped scrap of fabric left over from it, still crisp and unfaded.

I still have the magazine, it's from 1979 - look at the price on it: $1.75!

2 comments:

  1. Hey...I had this same magazine up until I cleaned out all my sewing magazines a few months ago...I sent it to Goodwill. Welcome to the world of blogging. Thank you for adding me to your list. I will come back to visit you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serenity, Goodwill! Now someone new will become hooked on quilting!

    Fossil that it is, though, I'll keep the magazine.

    Your work, your blog, your home, and your photos are bright and lovely. I look forward to your posts for inspiration and just plain enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete