Wednesday, January 28, 2009

In the land of Bare Feet

My son Frankie gave me a copy of a sock knitting book after I showed him all the socks people on the internet have made. Almost all of them tell a tale of how they initially thought it was unnecessary, a package of ready-made socks only costs a few dollars. But their stories go on to tell of how gratifying handmade socks are to complete and how superior they are to wear.

Having never worked with doublepointed needles before, I started practicing. I found a very helpful blog, Techknitting, with information about using dpn's, although the writer suggests using five needles and I have two hands.

My needles are a size 5, bigger than the patterns in the book call for, and the yarn is just scrap, not a good choice for socks. The pattern starts from the toe and works up, and most of the other patterns in the book start from the leg and work down, which might be easier. But the knitting is relaxing, I haven't lost my temper, I'd like to get accustomed to working with dpn's. Which all seems kind of silly here, where it's 77 degrees!

No comments:

Post a Comment